This creamy, delicious Sausage & Tortellini Soup is sure to please your warm meal craving this winter. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate healthy, flavorful meals into my weekly planning and this recipe does just that! It doesn’t take long to make and your family will be coming out asking “What’s that yummy smell?”
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced (I used shredded carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini*
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 c. half & half (or heavy cream)
- In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate; set aside.
- Add onion and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add in the chicken broth, whisk to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Pat as much grease as possible off of the sausage, then add it along with the tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, spinach, and half & half. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan, if desired.
Let me know if you have any questions about this recipe, or if you tried it in the comments below. Hover over an image to Pin it for later.