Memorial Day is soon approaching and I thought what better time than now to brush up on some History.
- Memorial Day became a national holiday in 1967.
- In December 2000, Congress passed a law requiring Americans to pause at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day to remember and honor the fallen.
- The day was established to honor those who died in the Civil War.
Memorial Day traditionally marks the start of summer.
If you have an American flag at your home and plan on raising it, there are some important things to know as far as flag protocol goes..
- There are some rules for handling and displaying the American Flag and they are defined by a law known as the U.S. Flag Code
- Raise the flag briskly at sunrise. To raise the flag, carefully unfold the flag, never letting it touch the ground.
- The flag should be lowered slowly to show respect for the flag
- Fly the flag only from sunrise to sunset. It can only be flown at night if it is properly illuminated
- You can find instructions on properly folding the flag here
On Memorial Day, flags are flown at half-staff from sunrise to noon. At noon, the flag is raised briskly to full-staff until sunset. This Memorial Day, remember to respect our history, raise your flag, honor all who have served.
Now for some Memorial Day decor…
In January 2017, we did a front door makeover. The door used to be white and it was very dirty and instead of buying a new door, we just decided to paint the one we already had. Of course there’s a lot of work that goes into that, like stripping the old paint and priming for the new paint. I am so happy though, because it was a perfectly good door, just needed a little touch of new paint. There’s something about a black front door that I just absolutely loved and had to have. Primarily because it goes with any theme or season.
I chose the Home Decorators Collection by Behr in Totally Black.
You can find it here at the Home Depot
Even though it was only the end of January, I went with a Patriotic theme for my front porch. I was thinking something that would last for a while and look really nice. I got my wreath off Etsy at Simply Blessed Gift. She is amazing and located in Tennessee which is my future home, so I love to support her business. Check out her Etsy page for other great items!
The front door mat I actually got from Target on clearance toward the end of Summer when they needed to make way for Fall items.
Delicious Memorial Day Dessert
Strawberry Poke Cake
You can find the recipe HERE
Let me know in the comments what your favorite recipes and activities are for Memorial Day, I’d love to hear them!